How to take care of tiles in a bathroom
Walls of bathrooms are usually covered with tiles. It is necessary to keep tiles in good state. Any tile, even the firmest one, goes bad eventually, so it is necessary to clean it carefully every week.
It has been said that long lasting tiles can survive anything — from cracks to heavy objects falling. However, we don’t recommend you experimenting.
Which cleaners should you be careful with?
- If the walls in your bathroom are covered with glazed tiles, don’t use abrasive cleaners and metal brushes. Scratches might not be noticeable but tiled surface will lose its previous shine.
- In the case if joints between tiles are not protected, do not apply acid cleaners on them.
- Also it is better to avoid powders with sand or pumice, and soap, which contains fats: they will leave scratches and splotches.
In spite of a great amount of universal cleaners, we recommend you to purchase a special detergent to clean tiles in your bathroom. It does not give any harm, and helps to keep tiles in ideal state.
What are the criteria to choose the cleaner?
First of all, pay attention to the type of the tiles. It is obvious how to take care of glaze surface, but you need to buy special emulsion for mated type. In addition, after you get rid of all dirt, you should apply polish which will highlight the color.
If you prefer universal cleaners, check the ingredients: not all the components are equally good for all types of tiles. Probably, after applying them on patterned tiles, you will see that the picture got faded.
As for brushes, the soft one is the best choice. It will delete residue and stains quickly and delicately, without leaving scratches and abrasion.
How can you quickly wash the tiles, if there is no special emulsion on hand?
- If the stain is fresh and has not been hardened yet, then the most ordinary dish detergent comes to help. It should be added to the water, applied on the tiles and left for 5-10 minutes.
- Baking soda will rescue from heavy dirt. It is necessary to moisten the tiles, then apply a little baking soda on a sponge and wipe the surface. It is important not to press too hard because it may leave scratches.
- Bleach will return snow white tile to its original perfect state. It should be mixed with water, poured into a spray bottle and gently sprayed over the entire surface. After five minutes you can wipe the tiles with a damp cloth. Bleach has one small flaw – a strong smell, ? but the tiles in your bathroom will not suffer from any bacteria or mold.
- One of the most well-known and effective products is vinegar. It also should be sprayed over the surface and washed off after a couple of minutes. You should mix vinegar in the water taking into account the proportions of 3 tablespoons per 1 liter of water.
If tiles damage is too severe, it is recommended to call experts and repair it, and if necessary — have it replaced. Thus you will save you time and money.